St. George’s University School of Medicine & Northumbria University: MD / MBBS International Medicine Pathway Program
Northumbria University in Newcastle, England, UK and St. George’s University in Grenada, have combined their study programmes to provide an appealing pathway to becoming a medical doctor. Since the introduction of the combined degree course in January 2007, over 1,500 students have studied their first year of the Basic Medical Sciences programme at Northumbria.
St. George’s University is located on the splendid Caribbean island of Grenada, you’ll discover a passage to medical discipline that synthesis traditional rigour and excellence with up-to-the-minute relevance, responsiveness and accessibility.
Northumbria University is a research-rich, business-focused, certified university with a world-wide reputation for academic excellence. It is based in the heart of Newcastle upon Tyne, which is regularly voted the best place in the UK for students.
The Pathway program offered is 5 years in duration similar to the MBBS Program offered in India.
- Pre-Medicine Direct Final Year @ St. George Campus, Grenada / Northumbria University, UK
- Year 1 Medicine @ St. George Campus, Grenada / Northumbria University, UK
- Year 2 Medicine @ St. George Campus, Grenada (Compulsory to be studied in Grenada Campus)
During the Clinical Rotation years, you will have provided B1 USA Visa for a period of 10 years. You will be assisted and prepared to take USMLE Examination (United States Medical Licensing Examination ®) by the University.
- Year 3 Medicine (Clinical Rotation) @ Gov. Approved Hospitals in USA or UK / Canada
- Year 4 Medicine (Clinical Rotation) @ Gov. Approved Hospitals in USA or UK / Canada
Upon successful completion of the course & USMLE test, one will be eligible to practice fulltime as a registered Doctor within the same hospital where you had taken your clinical rotation or in any of the other hospitals in the USA. Where as in UK & Canada a PLAB test and MCC test respectively to be achieved to obtain the licencing certificate.
MD Program Outline:
Clinical Rotation in USA or UK
Affiliated Hospitals & Clinical Centres
Northumbria University Boucher
Important Information about SGU:
- SGU’s graduates have practiced in all 50 US states and over 50 countries, including India
- There are over 160 students and over 500 graduates from Asia, including over 85 students and 220 graduates from India
- SGU is the #1 provider of doctors into first-year US residencies for the last four years combined, with over 830 residencies in 2015*
- SGU is the #1 international provider of physicians practicing in the US—more than any other non-US medical school in the world**
- 95% of eligible US 2014 graduates who applied for a postgraduate position obtained one within one year.
- More than 100 graduates are registered with the General Medical Council (GMC)
- SGU students – from 38 countries – had a 96% first-time pass rate on the USMLE Step 1 in 2014#
- SGU US and Canadian students achieved a 97% first time pass rate on the USMLE Step 1 in 2014, marking the fifth consecutive year that SGU’s US and Canadian students have surpassed students from US and Canadian schools.#
- SGU has award-winning student support services that help you succeed from day one
- Entering classes in both August and January each year
- Six-, five-, or four- year MD program
* : According to published information as of April 2015
** : According to an article in the Journal of Medical Regulation, A Census of Actively Licensed Physicians in the United States, 2014, vol. 101.No 2.